I'm a physicist turned software engineer currently working as a backend engineer at Thought Machine, a fintech scale-up in London.
I received my first degree in Chemical Engineering from the University of Birmingham. In pursuit of pure science, I then did a PhD in Theoretical Particle Physics at the University of Southampton. It was during this time I discovered my passion for software engineering.
After completing my PhD I stayed on at Southampton to develop software for the SMARTmove project, an interdisciplinary project involving electronics, control theory and medicine. I then left academia to work at ASV, an autonomous boat company, where I mostly worked on control area network (CAN) protocols.
In 2019 I pivoted to fintech, taking a job as backend engineer at Plum, where I expanded the company's investments offering and integrated the product with the TrueLayer PIS API. You can read more about the latter on Medium, here.
Outside of work I've spun-up a number of personal projects, including:
- pyQCD - Python package for Lattice QCD simulations;
- Arduino Robot - creatively-named robotics project involving LEGO, an Arduino and RS232 comms;
- Loxx - my own C++14 implementation of the toy language Lox.
- SIR model - solving the SIR model with Rust and WebAssembly.
- Týr - lockdown project recording atmospheric readings for St Albans, UK, using an Arduino.
Check out my GitHub profile for more.